Tuesday 30 August 2011

Book : Sarah's Key , etc.

I just finished reading another book. Sarah's Key. Though it's a fictional book it talks about an historical event that happened in France, the notorious Vel' d'Hiv Roundup in 1942.   It was a really good book but sad.  Now I really don't think I can come up with any positives  about the holocaust and  I'm not going to try.  It just makes me think a lot about this world and how sad  it is that people can be so evil to other people  and hate them because of who they are.  Though the only positive thing that happened during that time was the few people that helped the jews out like  the couple from the farm in the story of Sarah's Key. Though a true story of someone who helped the Jews was Corrie Ten Boom. She wrote the book  The Hiding Place that tells about her story and what she dealt with at the concentration camp.  The amazing thing is that she was able to forgive to man who was so mean to her and her sister in the camp.  So I guess I didn't see any positives at first but if you look at Corrie Ten Boom you can see that even out of the most devastating situations there can be forgiveness.  There was a big difference been the character Sarah and Corrie in that way, even though Sarah's story was fictional I'm sure it has truth to it and similar stuff happened to someone.  We have a choice we can let our past haunt us like it did Sarah or we can use are past to help others and forgive people  like Corrie Ten Boom.   Though Corrie Ten Boom  was a Christian  and that is why she was able to forgive just as God forgave us she was able to forgive her worse enemy.

"Even as the angry vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him....Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me your forgiveness....And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives along with the command, the love itself."
Corrie Ten Boom (The Hiding Place)

"Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart."
Corrie Ten Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment