Wednesday 8 June 2011

Books

I have read a lot of books on different subjects. One of my favourite books  that  I recommend to anyone who has an eating disorder or knows someone with an eating disorder is  "Life without Ed" by Jenni Schaefer. http://www.jennischaefer.com/index.htm  I really enjoyed this book because  it was easy to read, and was written in short chapters, which makes it much easier to read.  The main point of the book is separating oneself from  ED  ( or whatever one calls there eating disorder). This really spoke to me because I found ED was this other voice in my head , that goes against rational judgement.  Separating myself from that helped me find my own voice and know who I really am. There are many books that helped me in recovery from an eating disorder but this book has been my favourite. I have read it many times and have marked it up and highlighted it, I even  put numbers by the marks  and on the side of the book put the date I started  reading the book again.  This way I can look back  and see little comments I wrote and stuff that was important to me in that part of my recovery journey. I may post  more stuff on this book or other books in the future as I read through self help books and different books and reflect on them.

Another author which I find really good is Francine Rivers  http://www.francinerivers.com/. This author has many books. My favourite so far  is called "Redeeming Love", it is based on the book of Hosea in the Bible.  The main character Angel was sold into prostitution as a child and shows a story of how this man came to love her for who she was. She ran away  many times but through love changed her life.  I like this book because it gives people hope that no matter what background you come from God still loves you, and someone can change.  The other book I just started reading  is   "a lineage  of Grace," it talks about five women in the Bible, Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. In there society they did questionable things , yet they were also all in the lineage of Jesus.  This just shows to me that despite our struggles and mistakes , God loves us and can use us.  God can turn the Caterpillar into a butterfly through a transformation of a life. I don't know what the beliefs are of the people reading this blog but I know that belief in a God and Christianity  has really helped me in my life and in recovery. I respect the fact that people have different beliefs then I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment